BJD faceup: Challenges met painting Iplehouse Aria


Hello, everyone. This is Lomi, and today I’m
sharing my eighth faceup. I wish I could say I was proud of how this one turned out, but
unfortunately it’s more of an example of problems you can encounter when painting dolls. For
that reason, I’ve sped up this video more than my others, and I will be talking about
the issues I had. You can see I have to wipe one eyebrow and start over, erasing parts
of it more than once. The biggest issue I encountered was that I was at the end of my
can of sealant, and no matter what I did, I couldn’t get a good finish. Everything else
was just a side effect of this problem. Sealant with good tooth or texture is important for
more than just blushing with pastels. It also affects the way paint adheres to the surface,
and without the paper-like texture of a doll sealed properly, the paint is unpredictable,
either going on too heavily or beading up on the surface. I tried to counterbalance
this by using less thinner in my paint, but it didn’t help. When it came time to do the
blushing, I couldn’t get it to adhere evenly, which meant the pastel ended up shifting on
the surface and becoming grainy and blotchy. On top of the sealant being too slick, it
gave a shiny finish and the spray was so thick that it attracted a lot of dust, which had
to be picked out of the finish with a needle. I tried so hard to make this faceup work with
what I had since I didn’t have another can of sealant ready at hand, but nothing helped. Even the white watercolor pencil I use for lip lines and some accents wouldn’t leave
good marks. In my desperation tried white acrylic paint for details on the lips and
eyes, but that didn’t work out either, since it wouldn’t adhere to the surface. The end
result is a faceup that’s shiny and rough with very little visible shading. Not at all
what I had in mind for this doll. In retrospect, I should have stopped as soon as I saw the
first coat of sealant was going on thick and shiny. It would have saved me a lot of trouble,
and saved me the effort of removing a failed faceup, too. But it’s a learning experience,
like everything else, so I’ll take what I learned and apply it with her next faceup.
Along with a brand new can of sealant. That’s all for today. If you have any questions about
the materials I used or specific issues I had, leave me a comment below and I’ll do
my best to answer. I’ll be redoing her faceup soon, so be sure to check back for another
faceup video featuring this doll. Thanks for watching this time! Bye.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *